Dependencies and prerequisites
You should also read
Try it out
This class demonstrates how to implement the key navigation design patterns detailed in the
Designing Effective Navigation class.
After reading the lessons in this class, you should have a strong understanding of how to
implement navigation patterns with tabs, swipe views, and a navigation drawer. You should also
understand how to provide proper Up and Back navigation.
Note: Several elements of this class require the
Support Library APIs.
If you have not used the Support Library before, follow the instructions
in the Support Library Setup
- Creating Swipe Views with Tabs
- Learn how to implement tabs in the action bar and provide
horizontal paging (swipe views) to navigate between tabs.
- Creating a Navigation Drawer
- Learn how to build an interface with a hidden navigation drawer on the side
of the screen that opens with a swipe or by pressing the action bar's app icon.
- Providing Up Navigation
- Learn how to implement Up navigation using the action bar's app icon.
- Providing Proper Back Navigation
- Learn how to correctly handle the Back button in special cases,
including how to insert activities into the back stack when deep-linking the user
from notifications or app widgets.
- Implementing Descendant Navigation
- Learn the finer points of navigating down into your application's information hierarchy.