On this page
Custom watch faces leverage a dynamic, digital canvas that can include colors, animations, and contextual information.
To see examples of watch faces, download the Wear OS by Google companion app, which enables users to select from various watch faces.
Note: We recommend using Android Studio for Wear OS development, as it provides project setup, library inclusion, and packaging conveniences. This training assumes you are using Android Studio.
Refer to the following related resources:
- Designing Watch Faces
- Learn how to design a watch face that works on any Wear OS device.
- Building a Watch Face Service
- Learn how to respond to important events during the lifecycle of your watch face.
- Drawing Watch Faces
- Learn how to draw your watch face on a Wear device screen.
- Watch Face Complications
- Learn about watch face complications that show more than hours and minutes.
- Exposing Data to Complications
- Learn how to create a data provider app that supplies data to watch faces.
- Adding Complications to a Watch Face
- Learn how to create a watch face complication.
- Creating Interactive Watch Faces
- Learn how to let the user interact with your watch face.
- Providing Configuration Activities
- Learn how to create watch faces with configurable parameters.
- Addressing Common Issues
- Learn how to fix common problems when developing a watch face.
- Optimizing Performance and Battery Life
- Learn how to improve the frame rate of your animations and how to save power.