The In-app Billing API is versioned, with each version offering additional
features to your app. API support is provided by the Google Play Store app.
On most devices, the Google Play Store app is updated automatically to
support newer versions of the API.
The sections below list the supported versions of the In-app Billing API.
How to check for In-app Billing version
At run time, your app can query the Google Play Store app to determine what
version of the API it supports and what features are available.
- If you are using in-app billing version 3 or later, the version information
is not directly returned by Google Play. Instead, you can check if Google Play
supports the version of the In-app Billing API that you are using by sending an
- If the In-app Billing API version that you are using is earlier than version
3, the version information is returned in the
API_VERSION key of
the Bundle object passed in the
sendBillingRequest method. For more
In-app Billing Service Interface.
In-app Billing version 5
- A user can manually extend an existing subscription. The subscription
is extended by the appropriate amount of time.
- A user can upgrade or downgrade a subscription while it is active. The
old subscription is canceled, and the unused portion is applied on a pro-rata
basis to the new subscription.
In-app Billing version 4
Version 4 of the In-app Billing API did not introduce any public
In-app Billing version 3
- Purchasing and querying managed in-app items requires Google Play client
version 3.9.16 or higher.
- Purchasing and querying subscription items requires Google Play client
version 3.10.10 or higher.
- Provides a new Android Interface Definition Language (AIDL) file named
IInAppBillingService.aidl. The new interface offers these features:
- Provides a new API to get details of in-app items published for the app including price, type,
title and description.
- The purchase flow is synchronous and purchase information is available immediately after it
- Purchase information of in-app purchases is maintained within the Google Play system till the
purchase is consumed.
- An API to consume a purchase of an inapp item. All purchases of one-time in-app items are
consumable and thereafter can be purchased again.
- An API to get current purchases of the user immediately. This list will not contain any consumed
In-app Billing version 2
- Adds support for subscriptions, including free trial period.
- Adds a new supported string value, "2", for the
API_VERSION key of the Bundle
object passed in the
- Adds a new JSON field,
purchaseToken, to the
orders list returned in
- Adds a new
3 (expired), to the
orders list returned in a
PURCHASE_STATE_CHANGED intent. The value
indicates that a subscription has expired and is no longer valid.
- Requires Google Play (Play Store) version 3.5 or higher.
In-app Billing version 1
- Initial release.
- Requires Google Play/Android Market 2.3.4 or higher.