Tiles provide easy access to the information and actions users need in order to get things done. With a simple swipe from the watch face, a user can find out the latest forecast or start a timer.
Users can choose what tiles they’d like to see. There are tiles for checking the weather, setting a timer, tracking daily fitness progress, quick-starting a workout, playing a song, scanning upcoming meetings, and sending a message to a favorite contact.
The tiles API allows developers to build custom tiles that users can include on their watch. Using the tiles API requires targeting API level 26 or higher.
Working with tiles requires some specific considerations:
- Use Material components and Material layouts over more basic components to ensure compliance with Material Design user interface recommendations and overall consistency.
- While the OS handles rendering the UI of the tile, you provide the layout,
information, and resources using the
- tiles are meant for glanceable information that users can read in a matter of seconds. Display only the most important content with clear information hierarchy.
- To safeguard the user’s battery, avoid elements that require frequent re-rendering.
- Save highly interactive experiences for your activities. However, you can link into those activities from your tile. For more information, see Interact with tiles.
- Avoid text like “x minutes ago” or "in x minutes" for past or future events as this requires frequent updates. Instead, display the actual start or end time or use a statement like "in the past."
- Avoid long-running asynchronous work when providing a tile’s layout and resources. Your tile code should execute quickly.
- Consider allowing the user to tap on tiles to learn more and take action in an overlay, where there is support for rich interactivity and the user can scroll for more information.
- If you have a large app that supports the user with multiple tasks, consider creating a tile for each task. For example a fitness app might have a Goals tile, and a Workout Activity tile.