This page contains information related to Android Wear.
2017-Oct-25 Ambient Mode and More
This section contains information about new Android Wear features.
Android Support Library, v27.0.0: Features and bugfixes
The 27.0.0 version of the Android Support Library contains new features for Wear, described below.
New, preferred way to support ambient mode
Ambient mode enables a Wear app to remain visible to a user when the device goes idle. The Android Support Library has a new, preferred way for your apps to use ambient mode. The Wear team seeks developer feedback about this significant change.
Specifically, using the
AmbientMode class enables you to benefit from:
Activitysubclasses in the Android Support Library, such as
FragmentActivity; functionality for support library fragments is available
- Architecture components, which are life-cycle aware
- Better support for Google Sign-In
Manifest metadata constants in the Android Support Library
Constants for Android Wear apps, for the
in the Android Manifest file, are now
available in the Android Support Library. To use the constants (for
standalone apps, notification bridging mode, and watch face preview
images), add a reference to the following in the dependencies section of
the app module's
build.gradle file (requires the latest
version of the Google Repository):
Action drawer updates
Updates are available to the WearableActionDrawerView class, which is used for creating a wearable action drawer. In the latest version:
- When menu items are modified, the action drawer is properly updated
- If set for an action drawer, the title is displayed correctly
Inflation of the RoundedDrawable class
Wearable Support Library, v2.1.0: Enhancements and more
The 2.1.0 version of the Wearable Support Library includes the updates described below and requires Android Support Library version 26.0.2 or higher.
Supplying burn-in-safe images for ambient mode
ComplicationDrawable class enables you to supply burn-in-safe
images for ambient mode. Specifically, a
ComplicationData object's burn-in protection small
image field enables a watch face to display a small image (in the
SMALL_IMAGE complication type) in ambient mode, when burn-in
protection is enabled.
Tap event updates for complications
ComplicationDrawable class has a new
that enables your watch face to pass tap events to complications. The new
method builds on the existing functionality in which a tap on the watch
face triggers the
You can pass the coordinates to a
onTap call, to launch the action associated with the
ComplicationDrawable that contains the tap coordinates. When
onTap method is called, you can use a return value
true to see if a
launched the action associated with it.
setHighlightDuration method sets the
duration for a complication to remain highlighted after the
onTap method is called.
Progress bar for ranged value complications
If you prefer to draw your own progress bar for ranged value
complications in your watch face, you may use the
setRangedValueProgressHidden method of the
ComplicationDrawable class to hide the ranged value progress
that's drawn by the
2017-Oct-02 Android Wear Beta
Supported device: LG Watch Sport
This section contains known issues for an Android Wear beta release. For information about the beta program and/or to enroll, see the Android beta page.
- Android Pay and its cards do not function with this Android Wear beta release.
- Even if cellular connectivity is on, it is turned off after the beta is installed. As a workaround, turn on cellular connectivity after the beta is installed by navigating to Settings > Connectivity > Cellular.
- If notifications are erratic or missing after a beta update, or contacts were not synced, please factory-reset your watch.
- In the Wear tutorial (which starts after a watch is set up), some cards behave erratically, but they can be dismissed normally (with a swipe).
- On Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) phones, phone call notifications are not received on the watch.
- Heart rate monitoring sometimes fails after an update. As a workaround, reboot the watch.
- The OTA card in the stream sometimes fails to enable an installation. As a workaround, navigate to Settings > System > About > System Updates.