Browsing and playing media files is frequently part of the user experience provided by a TV app. Building such an experience from scratch, while making sure that it is fast, fluid, and attractive can be quite challenging. Whether your app provides access to a small or large media catalog, it is important to allow users to quickly browse options and get to the content they want.
The Android framework provides classes for building user interfaces for these types of apps with the Leanback androidx library. This library provides a framework of classes for creating an efficient and familiar interface for browsing and playing media files with minimal coding. The classes are designed to be extended and customized so you can create an experience that is unique to your app.
This class shows you how to build a TV app for browsing and playing media content using the Leanback support libraries for TV.
- Create a catalog browser
- Learn how to use the Leanback support library to build a browsing interface for media catalogs.
- Provide a card view
- Learn how to use the Leanback support library to build a card view for content items.
- Build a details view
- Learn how to use the Leanback support library to build a details page for media items.
- Use Leanback's transport controls
- Learn how to use the Leanback support library to build transport controls for your video player.
- Recommended Playback controls
- Learn the best practices for creating a consistent playback expirence across the platfom.
- Display a Now Playing card
- Learn how to use a MediaSession to display a Now Playing card on the home screen.
- Render video directly on a surface
- Learn how your app can render a preview video directly on a surface of the home screen.
- Add a guided step
- Learn how to use the Leanback support library to guide a user through a series of decisions.
- Introduce first-time users to your app
- Learn how to use the Leanback support library to show first-time users how to get the most out of your app.
- Enable background playback
- Learn how to continue playback when the user clicks on Home.
- Manage frame rates
- Learn how to manage frame rates using the frame rate API.