Each new version of Android includes a range of new features and improvements designed for Android in the enterprise. Whether you're developing a device policy controller or apps for managed Google Play, you can refer to this section to review the new APIs, features, and behavior changes introduced in each version of Android.
Some of the new enterprise features and updates in Android 11 include:
- Work profile enhancements for company-owned devices.
- The work and personal tabs have been extended to more device features.
- You can now schedule work profile pausing.
Some of the new enterprise features and updates in Android 10 include:
- Apps running in the personal profile can show events from the work profile calendar
- The ability to provision work profiles on devices enrolled with QR codes or using Zero touch.
- New option to install system updates on fully managed devices via a system update file.
Highlights from the enterprise features in Android 9 include:
- New user interface controls in Android's default launcher to help device users separate personal and work apps.
- APIs for lock task mode to support all Android apps and add improved control over the user interface.
- Support multiple users on dedicated devices.
- New APIs to help users switch between work and personal instances of an app.
To learn about all the new enterprise features in Android 9, read What’s new in Android 9 for enterprise apps.
Some of the highlights introduced for Android in the enterprise in Android 8.0 include:
- A new deployment scenario that allows work profiles on fully managed devices.
- New logging and reporting features available to affiliated users.
- The ability to offload app management to other applications via API delegation.
To see all the new enterprise features in Android 8.0, read What's New in Android 8.0.
Some of the new features and updates for Android in the enterprise in Android 7.0 include:
- Provisioning corp-liable devices using a QR code.
- Setting security challenges for apps running in the work profile.
- Requiring work apps to always connect through a specified VPN.
To see all the new enterprise features in Android 7.0, read What's New in Android 7.0.