Health Connect is an Android platform that allows health and fitness apps to use the same on-device data, within a unified ecosystem.
For Android developers, it provides an API for reading and writing a user's on-device health and fitness data. For Android users, it offers a place to exercise control over which apps have read and or write access to their health and fitness data.
The Android ecosystem includes a broad range of devices and platforms, including smartphones, wearables, and numerous health, fitness, and wellness apps. To accommodate these technologies, Android APIs feature a wide variety of data types. Accordingly, Android users want to exercise strict and convenient control over their health and fitness data from a single data repository.
Health Connect meets users' needs in numerous ways:
- It enhances overall knowledge of their health and fitness activities.
- It allows users to gain an overview of how their health and fitness data is stored and shared.
- It provides quick and convenient access to various privacy controls.
Health Connect features a comprehensive range of data types that allows users to track all of their health and wellness activities, across the following key data categories:
- Activity captures any activity that a user does, such as running, swimming and cycling.
- Body Measurement captures common data related to a user's body, such as weight, or basal metabolic rate.
- Cycle Tracking captures menstrual cycles and related data points, such as the binary result of an ovulation test.
- Nutrition captures hydration and nutrition data types, including optional fields such as calories, sugar intake and magnesium content.
- Sleep captures interval data related to the length and type of a user's sleep.
- Vitals captures essential information about the user's general health. It includes everything from blood glucose to body temperature and blood oxygen saturation.