Create great user experiences for different form factors
Don't create a mobile app and then force its implementation on different form factors; create your app experience based on each device's use case.
Why it works
Users interact with their devices in different ways and contexts. Your experience needs to account for how people will interact with it. A great app designed for smartphones, for example, won't provide a great experience on wearables. Tailoring your app for each form factor will provide a better user experience and increase user engagement.
- Android smartphones and tablets are many users' primary devices. Smartphones are for personal interactions on the go; tablets are generally used for consumption. On tablets, consider using the extra screen size to add additional functionality, imagery, and more context. For more information, see Optimize for large screens and tablets.
- Android Auto is built with safety behind the wheel in mind. Android Auto uses a standard interface to start enabled apps and services that drivers can interact with using voice, the vehicle's controls, and display.
- Android Things makes developing smart devices easy by providing familiar Android APIs and Google services. The platform is streamlined for single application use with no system apps present. Your app is launched automatically on startup to immerse your users in the app experience.
- Android TV is a lean-back and often shared experience with the benefit of a big screen; emphasis should be on the content and getting to it quickly through convenient browsing and search.
- Wear OS by Google helps provide useful information when it isn't convenient to pull out a smartphone or tablet, or at times when the user is active. For Wear OS, content should be brief with simple interactions or voice controls.
- Daydream is a platform for high quality, mobile virtual reality for Daydream-ready smartphones and headsets on Android. Make every step of your experience immersive to take advantage of the user's presence and allow interactions with the Daydream controller.