Some of the characteristics of the markets with the fastest growing Internet and smartphone penetration are:
- Low, intermittent, or expensive connectivity
- Screens and processors whose specifications may be less robust than in other markets
- Limited opportunities to recharge batteries during the course of the day.
Addressing these considerations can help your app succeed in such markets. To help you do so, we’ve put together a collection of advice to help you build an app that can deliver the best possible experience for people in developing markets.
You should keep in mind that the practices described in this section are not relevant only for apps being published into developing markets. No matter where you want to release your app, following the guidance offered here will produce a better example for your users. For example, there is no market where it's not a good idea for an app to be more efficient in the way it uses memory, power, and network bandwidth.
Building Apps to Delight Billions
We have divided our advice into five broad categories: connectivity, device capability, data cost, battery consumption, and content. The categories are not presented in any particular order. Also, you should take them as guidelines, but not absolutes: You should always research the particulars of any market or country you're targeting.
- Learn how to provide a better experience for users who may be connecting to slower networks. Focus on optimizing images, optimizing networking, and fine-tuning data transfer.
- Device Capability
- Learn how to support devices with capabilities that may be different from the ones for which you've been developing for until now. Take into account different screen sizes, backward compatibility, and efficient memory usage.
- Data Cost
- Learn how to help users minimize their network-traffic costs. Two keys to accomplishing this goal are reducing app size and offering configurable network settings.
- Battery Consumption
- Learn how your app can help preserve users' battery life. You can do this by engaging in best practices for power management, and by benchmarking to make sure that your app isn't draining the battery in ways it shouldn't be.
- Learn how to present content for the best possible user experience. Areas to focus on include UI responsiveness, UI best practices, and localization.