Increase your app's usefulness by extending it to Android Wear devices
Android Wear integration allows you to use Google Play and Android features across devices, to create a better user experience and improve user engagement.
Why it works
Android Wear surfaces information and features at useful times so that users don't have to check their mobile devices constantly. Notifications work straight away on Wear — but, by adding actions and enhancements you can make your app more useful and increase engagement and retention.
- Design notifications for both smartphone and watch so that notifications are ready to take advantage of the automatic sync to a user's wearable.
- Enable your Wear app to handle voice actions, such as “Ok Google, take a note,” for a hands-free experience on an Android Wear device.
- Create a custom experience as a native wearable app or watch face and make full use of the Android Wear features.
- Follow the Material Design for Wearables guide, including guidance on the new dark color palette, to make your app's interface more consistent, intuitive, and beautiful.
- Share data and actions between Android Wear devices and your phone app.
New in Wear 2.0
- Build and publish watch-only apps for users to discover without a phone. Android Wear apps can now access the internet directly over Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, or cellular connections, without relying on the Data Layer APIs. So, you can continue to offer full functionality even if the paired phone is out of range or turned off.
- Build a complications data provider, so users can get useful information from your app directly on the watch face.
- Use the new notification template with its layout optimized for quick and responsive messaging.
PendingIntentfor the Google Fit platform to be notified of changes in the fitness data store, so your app doesn't have to keep querying for changes to weight, nutrition, and other data.