Dependencies and prerequisites
- Android 2.0 (API Level 5) or higher
DevBytes: Design for Large Displays - Part 1
Smart TVs powered by Android bring your favorite Android apps to the best screen in your house. Thousands of apps in the Google Play Store are already optimized for TVs. This class shows how you can optimize your Android app for TVs, including how to build a layout that works great when the user is ten feet away and navigating with a remote control.
- Optimizing Layouts for TV
- Shows you how to optimize app layouts for TV screens, which have some unique characteristics such as:
- permanent "landscape" mode
- high-resolution displays
- "10 foot UI" environment.
- Optimizing Navigation for TV
- Shows you how to design navigation for TVs, including:
- handling D-pad navigation
- providing navigational feedback
- providing easily-accessible controls on the screen.
- Handling features not supported on TV
- Lists the hardware features that are usually not available on TVs. This lesson also shows you how to provide alternatives for missing features or check for missing features and disable code at run time.