Subscriptions allow you to generate recurring revenue in exchange for offering customers fresh content and app updates. If you sell subscriptions through Google Play billing, you can reach users in 130 countries, and keep them engaged and measure performance via the tools available in the Google Play Developer Console.
Easily integrate with our platform and you won’t have to directly process any financial transactions.
Increase conversion and reduce cart abandonment rates with access to multiple forms of payment and a consistent and familiar purchase flow for your users.
Fight churn with tools to help you retain customers, and take advantage of our efforts to prevent payment issues.
Analyze user behavior and measure key business drivers with our tracking tools.
Features to help you grow a subscriptions business
- Flexible billing frequencies — Set your billing period to weekly, monthly, seasonally, annually and more.
- Free trials — Let users try your app before subscribing by offering a trial length period of your choosing.
- Introductory pricing — Specify an initial discounted price that applies to a set number of billing periods.
- Local pricing — Customize the price for each market, and we’ll bill users in their local currency.
- Grace periods — Allow your subscribers to update their payment method if a recurring payment is declined.
- Upgrades/downgrades — Add the ability for users to switch from one plan to another (e.g. from a basic to a premium subscription).
- Conversion analytics — See which channels bring in the biggest number of paid users.
- Billing reports and dashboards — Measure how much you’re earning every month from each subscription tier you offer and track how long you’re retaining your subscribers.
Developer success with subscriptions on Google Play
If you don’t have one already, set-up a Google payments Merchant Account from the Developer Console. You then define subscriptions for published or draft apps in the In-app Products section of the Developer Console, integrate the In-app Billing API into your apps, and add the mechanisms to unlock subscribed features or deliver content.
Tip: Due to some direct carrier billing limits, we recommend monthly subscriptions. Annual subscriptions may exceed limits, causing the purchase to be blocked and you to lose that revenue.