Improve your app’s quality and discoverability
The Google Play Store is committed to connecting users with a diverse catalog of high quality apps. Our recommendations are composed of a mix of human curation and algorithmic calculations, of which, the two largest components considered are relevance and quality. The best practices below explain how we evaluate quality for your app, independent of which user might download it.
Play’s focus on quality encompasses the entire user experience, from your app’s description to the in app experience. These topics should be familiar, but you may not be aware of all the specific guidelines and tools Play offers to help you reach your app’s full quality potential.
This page will evolve over time, so please check back whenever you are preparing to launch or update your app. Remember to also check the Developer Policy Center guidelines and work with Google to build the most trusted and safe source of apps for users around the world.
Create a high quality and engaging app
Google Play understands that building a high quality and engaging app is an art form. To provide users with a meaningful and lasting experience, you should offer the proper variety and depth of content for your users, and avoid doing anything that may negatively impact a user’s ability to engage with your app.
- Craft intuitive and responsive navigation, controls, and menu options. For apps with more complex features, consider creating a tutorial as part of your first time user experience to walk a user through.
- Provide the appropriate level of features and content that users would expect from your store listing or other marketing materials.
- For apps with ads integrated, ensure a good user experience by choosing the right ad format and placement throughout your app. Avoid placing ads in ways that could negatively impact a user’s experience, including placing ads excessively and in places that mimic system or app dialogues.
- Think about building your app with localization to expand your reach to users in different markets. Make sure to properly test your localization (strings, UI elements) for every locale before publishing.
- Provide a unique or innovative solution, use case, and experience for your users to help your app stand out from the crowd.
- Ensure you are building an app where users can discover continued value. You can monitor this by analyzing key performance metrics like retention rates, active user counts, and other engagement metrics. Use peer benchmarks to see how you perform to get ahead of any negative trends.
- Monitor your user ratings and reviews, address common issues, and respond to negative reviews where possible. When receiving a reply from developers, users increase their rating by +0.7 stars on average.
Prepare every release for a successful launch
The following best practices will help you prepare for launch and navigate and monitor key metrics to ensure you provide users with the best and most stable experience possible.
- Create the right testing plan on the most used Android devices for your app. Use testing tracks to release early versions of your app to gather user feedback, make improvements before full release, and keep up with releases of Android for compatibility.
- Enable pre-launch reports to identify where your app has problems and ensure you’re presenting the highest possible quality to users upon launch. The pre-launch reports use automated tests on real devices that can identify layout issues, provide crash diagnostics, locate security vulnerabilities, and more.
- Review the Android vitals dashboard to see how your app is performing on core vitals metrics including crash rate, ANR rate, excessive wakeups, and stuck partial wake locks in the background. Look at peer benchmarks to see how you measure up to others in your category.
Build an effective store listing page
Discovery of your app starts on the store listing page. Build trust with users and make a strong first impression with an effective and accurate store listing page. Users should be able to clearly understand what your app will offer from the app description, screenshots, and other metadata provided on the listing page.
- Use strong creative assets, including your app title, description, icon, feature graphic, screenshots, and video, to provide a clear and accurate representation of your app experience. Adding a video to your app's listing page and including three or more 16:9 screenshots can increase the conversion rate.
- Provide accurate categorization and content rating to help Google Play promote your app properly.
- Run store listing experiments to A/B test different versions of your listing page, including variants of your icon, description, screenshots, and more, amongst actual Google Play users. Make sure to test each component independently and run tests for at least a week in order to gather significant results.
- Customize store listings and tailor your marketing messages to highlight key features and updates for individual countries. Ensure the information provided is clear, succinct, and informative for your users.
- Localize your app store listing to ensure content is specifically tailored for users in different markets around the world.
- Make sure to include up to date and accurate developer website and contact information in case users need to reach you.
Get the most out of the Google Play Console and learn about improving app quality through free e-learning courses on the Academy for App Success.